BIKE FOR BOSNIA
In Memory of 25 Years of Srebrenica
On July 11, 1995 over 8,000 men and adolescent boys faced a massacre in Srebrenica Bosnia.
The ongoing trauma of this historic genocide has created ripple effects that is evident in the daily lives’ of the victims, survivors, and family members.
So this year on July 11, we invite you to Bike 25km for Bosnia wherever you are and raise awareness and fundraise in memory of the victims of the massacre.
How to Get Started
1. Get ready to join us in a 25km Bike Challenge! Sign up here, and be prepared on July 11th, 2020 to pedal away.
2. Create a LaunchGood Campaign through Islamic Relief Canada here. The goal for each participants is to raise a minimum $250.
3. Share, share, share! Spread the word with your friends and family. Get them to join you in the challenge! Want to make it a little more competitive? See who can finish 25km the fastest!
Date: July 11, 2020
Register by: July 9, 2020
Fundraising Target: $250
Difficulty Level: MEDIUM
Pre-Bike Challenge Checklist
- Register by July 9, 2020
- Check your email for your “Bike 4 Bosnia package” with details on how to create your LaunchGood campaign
- Download MapMyRun to track your progress
- Create your personal LaunchGood Campaign to raise money for Bosnia
Day of Bike Challenge
- Tag us on social media @islamicreliefcanada with hashtag #Bike4Bosnia
- Cycle away for 25km
- Screenshot your map, with the time and distance
- Last push for your Bosnia campaign!
- Campaign with the most donations
- Participant with the fastest time
This year, marks the 25th anniversary of Srebrenica’s genocide.
Islamic Relief Canada is joining a worldwide campaign in efforts to alleviate some of the pain that many continue to carry.
This campaign will support our Sadaqa Jaariya projects in Bosnia.
Islamic Relief was one of the first international aid organizations to operate in Bosnia since the outbreak of the Bosnian War. We delivered aid and emergency relief, and assisted in rebuilding homes, schools, mosques, and other infrastructure damaged by the conflict. For the 20 years, we continued to provide emergency responses like food, medical care, orthopaedic items, sanitary facilities, and clean water.
In the more recent years, Islamic Relief Bosnia adopted multi-year, multi-sectoral projects to ensure long term sustainability and to maximize the benefit for communities. Recent projects include supporting the greenhouse of a family in Hadzici which they used to grow and sell vegetables as well as supporting a raspberry farm.
In addition to the agricultural projects implemented, Islamic Relief set up an interest-free loan system to help tackle unemployment in the country and give people a way out of poverty.
Challenge your limits!