With many returning to our beloved masajid for Eid prayer and celebrations, we know some of you will still be praying Eid at home this year. We can still catch the blessing of Eid prayer and pray it at home with our families!
We’ve put together this step-by-step guide to performing Eid prayer at home. May all your prayers be answered, ameen!
Salat-ul-Eid is considered either a sunnah, wajib (required), or fard kifaya (communal obligation) act of worship depending on the madhab you follow.
It can be done at home, especially under these circumstances, either in congregation or individually. Salat-ul-Eid has additional takbeerat that differentiate it from the regular prayers.
On the morning of Eid, it’s sunnah to take a shower (i.e. perform ghusl) before you settle down to pray. It is also sunnah to start the day by eating dates after you’ve prayed.
Eid prayer must be performed after the sun has risen. As a result, you cannot pray the Eid prayer immediately after Fajr. Also, Eid prayer must be performed before zawaal. Zawaal refers to the time in which the sun has reached zenith, its highest point in the sky.
Therefore, our recommendation is to perform the Eid prayer anytime between the hours of 7am and 12pm.
There is no khutbah (sermon) after the prayer if you pray at home. However, you can listen to a sermon online because it’s mandub (recommended), not wajib (required) to listen to a khutbah.
Unique Elements of Eid prayer:
1. When you stand up to pray, first do takbeerat al-ihram (Allahu akbar) to open the salah
2. Say the takbeer 3 times before beginning to recite from the Qur’an.
3. Recite Surah Al-Fatiha followed by another surah.(Sunnah was Surah Al-Alaa and Surah Ghashiya or Surah Qaf and Surah Qamar for first and second rakas, respectively. But it is okay to recite other surahs.)
4. Perform rukuu and two sajdas as normal. This concludes the first rakah.
5. After you come up from sujood from the first rakah, you recite Surah Al-Fatiha plus another surah.
6. After the surah, say the takbeer 3 times, then 1 additional takbeer to go to rukuu.
7. After rukuu, you continue with two sajdas and the final sitting as normal to conclude the prayer.
1. Begin with takbeerat al-ihram to open the prayer, then 6 additional takbeer. It is better (sunnah) to pause at this point for people behind you in order for them to repeat after you.
2. Recite Surah Al-Fatiha plus another surah.
3. Make rukuu, sujood, and come up from the first rakah saying 1 takbeer, as normal.
4. Say 5 additional takbeers before continuing on through your second rakah as normal.
1. Begin with 7 takbeers and then Quran recitation, rukuu, and sujood, as normal.
2. When you get up from the first rakah saying 1 takbeer, then do 5 additional takbeers.
3. Continue on through the second rakah as normal.
After you’ve prayed Eid salah for Eid-al-Adha, it is sunnah to recite the takbeerat for the next 3 days after every prayer.